It was tough to find time to go see it, but dodging spoilers was proving to be an Olympic sport. So, I finally saw Captain America: Civil War. Did I like it? Yeah. I am still processing the movie but my brain has reordered my Top 5 Marvel Superhero Movies and I had to share.
1) Captain America: Winter Soldier – This remains the best Marvel movie to date for me. It has tension, stakes that matter, shows who Cap is, and introduces Falcon. It is superheroes done right!
2) Captain America: First Avenger – Yeah, I have a thing for historical movies and Peggy Carter.
3) The Avengers: Marvel did something no one else thought was possible: they brought a team of superheroes to the big screen and made it work. It is not a perfect movie but the fanboy in my soul is still giggling and Bruce Banner’s "I am always angry" plays through my brain.
4) Captain America: Civil War: This is a really good movie, introduces Black Panther (future blog post), Spiderman (another blog post) and stays true to the character of Cap. Cap is not a tool of the government but someone that fights for the ideal of what America should be--the same reason I joined the army.
5) Ironman: It started the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe and was Robert Downey Jr.’s first outing as Tony Stark. For me, it is tied for #5 with Ironman 3 – Yeah, I hear your groans, but other than my issue with how the Mandarin was handled, it was the perfect Ironman-not-really-being-Ironman in a buddy-cop movie).
Honorable Mention: Agent Carter. I know it is a TV show but it was the best Marvel network show, and the fact ABC canceled it really has me missing it. Maybe it is time for a re-watch of the two seasons and do a little fan fiction writing, or maybe I'll run a game in tribute to a great show.
In a couple of weeks and after one more viewing of Cap III, I will have a spoiler review, but until then (and after) GO SEE IT!